The Hartford community is familiar with the projects that the Hartford Area Foundation supports such as the Jack Russell Memorial Library, the Veterans Aquatic Center, park shelters and downtown beautification projects. What may be less visible are the people and families in the community that are helped by the Hartford Area Foundation.
One of the local organizations that is supported on an annual basis by the Hartford Area Foundation is Family Promise of Washington County. The overall goal and purpose of Family Promise is to provide children and their families as well as single women with shelter, basic needs and assistance as they seek permanent housing. Family Promise is unique in that it does not split up families during their crisis. This non-profit organization helps homeless and low-income families in Washington County achieve sustainable independence , providing food, shelter, and support services.
Family Promise Working Locally
Family Promise works with the support of local churches that provide the immediate needs of meals and hospitality. The majority of the work is provided through the Host Congregations who house families in their facilities every night. All the evening activities of housing, feeding, encouraging and interacting with the children and families are conducted by volunteers.
During the day, families come to the Family Promise Day Center, where they are busy taking care of family business. At the Day Center a case manager works with the families so that they are able to access community resources to search for employment and housing. Key to their success is the fact that every family is connected to the community through volunteers at the congregations. Families are able to build a new community network that helps them achieve their goals of independence.
Want to Help?
You can support this important organization through your donations to the Hartford Area Foundation. You can also volunteer your time or donate directly to Family Promise of Washington County.
Want to get can get involved! Here are ways to help Family Promise of Washington County
- Make a Meal: Help cook breakfast or dinner with one of our Host congregations! As an individual or a group serve our families a hot meal and share your compassion through your food.
- Overnight Volunteers: Exercise your talent of sleeping and stay overnight with our families from 8:30pm-7am.
- Office Angels: Volunteers needed to help around the office. We are more than happy to work with your schedule!
- Kids Care Program: Do you have a school, youth group, girl/boy scout troop, or sports team that wants to help homeless kids? A staff member at Family Promise would love to talk to your class, team, or group about the realities of child and family homelessness and provide a service activity for kids to make a difference!
- Play with Kids: We typically have infants and toddlers in the program that would love to be held or played with any day during the week!
- Get your Church Involved as a Host or Support Church with the Interfaith Hospitality Network shelter program!
These are just a few of the many tasks that our volunteers assist with as we work to help families facing a housing crisis in Washington County. Individual volunteers as well as group volunteers can get involved on a one-time, monthly, weekly, or even daily basis!
Some of the many groups who have volunteered in the past include:
- Youth groups
- Church groups
- Organizational groups
Would you like more information about volunteer opportunities or how to donate. Follow home link below or call Family Promise
Call (262) 353-9304